Trash collection service in West Deer Township is MANDATORY.
The West Deer Township Board of Supervisors awarded the current weekly Residential Solid Waste and Bi-Weekly Recyclable Material Collection Contract to:
Morrow Refuse Inc.
4985 Bakerstown-Culmerville Road
Tarentum, PA 15084
Morrow Refuse collects every holiday except for Christmas Day.
NEW CONTRACT AWARDED 10/19/16
Contract Year Per month/Unlimited Senior Citizen Stickers
2017 $16.00/month $2.00/sticker
2018 $16.50/month $2.00/sticker
2019 $17.00/month $2.00/sticker
- Trash should be at the curb (within 5 feet of the road where the truck travels) on your collection day by 6:00am.
- ALL trash should be bagged, boxed, bundled, or contained in some manner. Each parcel should weigh no more than 40 – 50 lbs. Cans or bag sizes should not exceed 45 gallons.
- MORROW DOES NOT ACCEPT THE FOLLOWING: Dirt, sod, rocks, bricks, cement, building material (including paint), remodeling materials, and/or freon (refrigerators, freezers, dehumidifiers, or air conditioners). Please contact Morrow Refuse for more information on disposal of these items.
- NO TELEVISIONS, computers, or propane tanks. Please see the electronics disposal section below.
- Trash not put out on time or not prepared properly will be picked up your next scheduled pickup day.
- Two tires – no rims – may be picked up per residence from personal vehicles ONLY. No truck tires.
- Please call Morrow in advance to dispose of larger items such as furniture.
- Recycling is BI-WEEKLY, and on the same day as your regular trash collection.
- The following items are included in the Township’s recycling program: Clear and colored glass, aluminum and bi-metal cans, and #1 and #2 plastics (please look on the bottom of the container). Most small mouthed plastic bottles and jugs such as milk jugs, soda bottles, detergent and shampoo bottles, etc. are acceptable plastics.
- It is not necessary to wash your recyclables, but PLEASE rinse all food and residue from items set out for collection.
- Recycling bins are available at the Township Building for $10 (the cost to the Township).
- A recycling calendar can be found or can be picked up at the Township office.
- Newspapers will be picked up if placed in a paper bag next to your recycling bin.
- There are numerous green and yellow Paper Retriever paper recycling bins throughout the Township. Products accepted are: Magazines, catalogs, newspaper, office and school paper, and mail. Cardboard, telephone books, and plastic bags are NOT accepted.
Locations of Paper Recycling Bins
Deer Creek United Presbyterian Church
33 Bairdford Road
Gibsonia, PA 15044
Deer Lakes Middle School
17 East Union Road
Cheswick, PA 15024
East Union Presbyterian Church
292 East Union Road
Cheswick, PA 15024
West Deer Fire Company No.3
4372 Gibsonia Road (State Route 910)
Gibsonia, PA 15044
West Deer Township Municipal Building
109 East Union Road
Cheswick, PA 15024
West Deer Township Senior Center
4834 State Route 910
Allison Park, PA 15101
Senior Citizen Sticker Program
This optional program is available to residents who are 65 or older. Stickers are $2.00 and are purchased and placed on EACH bag set out for collection.
In order to be eligible, a resident must first show proof of age at the West Deer Township office. After confirmation, stickers can then be purchased through Morrow Refuse Inc. There is a minimum requirement of twelve stickers per year.
Seniors are advised to contact Morrow Refuse directly for more information on this program and to see if the Program would benefit them.
Morrow Refuse will pick up leaves during a one-time, curbside leaf collection pickup during the autumn season. Scheduled areas and dates are posted in November. Leaves MUST be in biodegradable paper leaf composting bags (NO PLASTIC BAGS).
Leaves can also be deposited ON TOP OF THE HILL behind the Township Building located at 109 East Union Road. The leaves can be dropped off any day and time, but MUST be in biodegradable leaf bags.
The Township sells biodegradable leaf bags at the Township Building for $3.00 a 5-pack, or they can be purchased at any store such as Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc.
Disposal of Electronics
Effective January 24, 2013, Pennsylvania State Law states that the following devices MUST BE RECYCLED:
- Televisions, monitors, laptops (anything with a screen over 5”).
- Computers, printers, keyboards, peripherals (anything attached to a computer).
The Law bans the disposal of TV’s and computer equipment at transfer stations and landfills. Because of this, Morrow Refuse cannot take these electronics.
- Goodwill stores will accept ONLY computers and computer equipment (working and non-working). No televisions are accepted. Please call them before taking items to be sure of what they are accepting.
- Best Buy stores accept MOST types of electronics. No televisions are accepted.
- eLoop, LLC in Export accepts most types of electronics. Televisions accepted for a fee. Web site: www.eloopllc.com or call 724.519.7646.
- 1-800-GOT-JUNK will pick up televisions for a fee.
Hard-to-Recycle and Household Chemicals Collection Events
These events are held every year by the Allegheny County Health Department and the Pennsylvania Resources Council. Locally, the hard-to-recycle event is held in the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills parking lot. The household chemicals event occurs at North Park. For questions, directions, or a detailed list of items and fees collected by these valuable programs, please visit www.prc.org or 412.488.7490 x236. Once the dates and times are set, they will be posted on the Township web site.
PENNSYLVANIA RESOURCES COUNCIL TAKES OVER STATE RECYCLING HOTLINE
On July 1, 2016 PRC took over operations of the PA Department of Environmental Protection’s Recycling Hotline. The hotline was created to offer residents of Pennsylvania a resource to get answers to their recycling related questions.
Pennsylvanians are invited to call the Recycling Hotline at 1-800-346-4242 to find convenient recycling options for electronics, household chemicals, tires, televisions and more. The Hotline is operated every weekday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. All after hour calls are returned the following business day to be sure no question goes unanswered.
To learn more about the toll-free Recycling Hotline, visit the PRC web site at www.prc.org
PRC RECYCLING HOTLINE 1-800-346-4242